Liz Balkwill graduated from Norwich School of Art in 1980. She has been working as a professional painter for the past 15 years, and is well known in Norfolk as a tutor and demonstrator. Always keen to develop her skills, Liz travels to the US regularly and has been fortunate to receive instruction from some of the top American oil painters and pastel artists working today, namely: Daniel Greene, Nelson Shanks, Michael Grimaldi, Robert Liberace and Sally Strand.
I am a full member of the Armed Forces Art Society (AFAS), and exhibit regularly with the ROI, SWA, Royal Society of Portrait Painters and Pastal Society at the Mall Galleries, London.
My portraits aim to produce a realistic likeness and at the same time try to reflect something of the subject’s character. I achieve my aim by a careful combination of good lighting to create in the picture a sense of depth, good form and a graduation of skin tones. From interactions and discussions, I am able to build a rapport with the subject that helps me to capture and represent something of their inner self. I work using a combination of sittings, photographs and sketches, and use either pastel or oils.
- Lady Catto - Wife of Lord Catto
- Chairman Morgan Grenfell Professor Shackle Nominated for Nobel Prize
- Cllr Evelyn Collishaw - Lord Mayor of Norwich
- Colin Cullimore - Chairman of NAAFI
- Jan De Vries - Health Guru and TV Personality
- Christopher Kilroy - High Sheriff of Bedfordshire
- Carol Kilroy - Wife of High Sheriff of Bedfordshire
- Lady Dixon - Wife of Air-Vice Marshall Sir Peter Dixon
- The Founders of Fettes College - Posthumous portrait
- Henry Birbeck - Posthumous Portrait
- Baron Cloaue de Gohr – Opthalmic Surgeon
- Roddy Gillanders – Director Serious Fraud Squad.
- Professor Christopher Fowler – University of Essex
- Eve Collishall, Lord Mayor of Norwich.